Image Not Available for Untitled
OA Public Domain
Untitled
Image Not Available for Untitled
Date1951/09
MediumChromogenic Print; Negative, Acetate
Dimensions3.5" x 5" (photograph), 2.5" x 3.5" (negative)
Object number2000.100.3933
Institutional Credit LineCourtesy of the New Bedford Whaling Museum
Description18 photographs and corresponding negatives - In 1951 the ODHS became the owner, protector, and caretaker of the site of the Russell Garrison in South Dartmouth, MA, a structure closely associated with King Phillip's War. Shortly after acquisition, an archaeological survey was done under the leadership of Dr. Oliver G. Ricketson, a professional in the field and a native to the area. Nothing of the Garrison remains above ground, but the well-preserved dry wall construction of the excavated main room gives a good idea of how the early occupants lived (from the Bulletin from Johnny Cake Hill, Summer 1964).
On View
Not on view